Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Simple Life

So we have been here for over 5 weeks and we have had plenty of adventures during that time. It still amazes me that my life has led me here to this place – 8 years ago if you told me I would be going to Uganda I would’ve probably laughed at you. When we were getting ready to come, Uganda felt so far away and almost like a dream that was just out of our reach but reality has set in and this is our life. One thing that makes life here not only bearable but also refreshing is that life is very simple (even though there are several complex issues facing this country on a larger scale).

Most people eat what they sow, which includes beans, rice, posho (made from corn), greens, matoka (similar to a banana), cabbage, avocado, pineapple, sugarcane and mangos. I have eaten rice, beans, cabbage and avocado for lunch every day and I am already sick of it, but this is all the local Ugandans know so somehow they never get sick of it. They live with the mentality that as long as there is food there is nothing to complain about. Let me tell you, for sure I will think twice when I complain about only having milk for coffee instead of half and half, or when they hot water has run out in the shower. Every night we have mangos and pineapples for dessert and I don’t think I will ever get tired of eating those. Since we a stones throw away from the Equator Uganda does not have seasons and everything grows all year round.

Their houses are simple; they are made out of mud and sticks or mud bricks and cement, with tin or thatched roofs. They wash themselves, their dishes and clothes in basins, which is the way we have been doing it as well. Most families also own a variety of animals – cows, chickens, goats, and turkeys. We have a few chickens at the guest house, but they don’t lay eggs because we got rid of our cock and we used to have 6 but now we only have 2 because a stray dog was hungry. There is no refrigeration so when an animal is slaughtered it must be eaten that day. I can’t tell you how many times I have been walking or riding down the street and I see raw meat just sitting or hanging in a shop, twice I have even seen the head of a slaughtered cow as well. This reminds me of a great story… Once upon a time we were all on a hike going to see the area that had the mudslides last year. The hike was epic and the mountains were unlike any mountains I have ever seen. Along the way we were hiking up this steep slope on a tight path, when all of a sudden our local guide shouts, “Get off the path!” I quickly looked up the hill and saw a mad bull charging down the hill towards us. Within seconds I was clinging to the trees and pricker bushes on the side of the trail for dear life and the cow missed us by about 5 feet. Since then I have been a little nervous around cows that are not tied up.

The children here are happy with this life, mostly because that is all they have ever. They can entertain themselves with a stick and old bicycle tire or with a deck of Uno cards with no instruction. When we go running we usually have about ten kids following us. They are so strong, running 4 miles is nothing to them but at the end they ask us ask to give them shoes for the next run. One of the classes at the vocational school is tailoring/sewing and all their sewing machines are human-powered, you peddle it with your feet. I have had the opportunity to learn how to sew on one and at first it is tricky but it doesn’t take long to learn.

Recently Mike was showing a teacher some skiing and ice climbing pictures and we had to explain that the temperature was so cold that the water turned to snow and ice. They don’t know what to think of it since 70 degrees F. feels cold to them, and they usually have a confused look on their faces then they ask they what happens to your crops. This is not the developed world and it is so far away that it is hard for them to even comprehend the world we come from and the conveniences we have. The developed world is capable of so much and has accomplished amazing feats but it lacks the simplicity and the connection to the land that makes life possible for millions of Africans. Before coming to Uganda I knew that we take everything for granted in our culture but that didn’t spot me from doing it. How do you obtain simplicity and gratitude when you have everything and always will have everything? Visit a country like Uganda!

No comments:

Post a Comment