Tuesday, July 19, 2011

What am I doing in Uganda?

Uganda is a beautiful, fertile, amazing country, yet also crazy, corrupt and depressing. The more I learn about Uganda – it’s culture, people, politics and environment – the more I realize it needs a little guidance. It actually needs big change and a lot of support, but the people are so stubborn that it makes big change practically impossible. The issues that this country are facing are enumerable and important, and they are issues that are all over the world but here these issues are common place. The issues I am talking about are enormous population growth, lack of proper health care and family planning, lack of adequate public education, political corruption and depletion of natural resources.(Currently the population of Uganda is 33 million, which is the same as the population of Canada but Uganda is the size of Oregon state. Also the average number of children in a family is 7, so the population is estimated to be 100 million by year 2050.)

Every person I talk to here has experienced some, if not all, of these issues first hand and surprisingly they work hard everyday, somehow survive and do so without complaining. They have accepted these things as part of their lives and (I think) because of that this country is in some state of denial about these issues needing solutions. It is interesting to talk to them and hear their stories, and they are all stories of hardships, struggles and survival as well as joy. But at the same time hearing their stories makes me mad because it sounds like there is corruption at every level and no one is doing anything about it and they are doing little to help themselves.

I know this sounds really depressing, but the Bududa Development Center is making a difference and it is helping people help themselves to gain knowledge and skills so that they may improve their lives, and that is why I am here to help.Although I still ask myself on a daily basis “How can I help? How can I make a difference”? It is hard since there is no clear answer, but I am finding ways to be an active member of the community. I am involved in counseling the women in the vocational school and the girls in the Children of Peace Program.We give them advise and counseling on sex, relationships, school, family, character and how to make good choices. This is one of my favorite things that I am doing here, because I know I am helping them make wiser choices and I get to teach them about their bodies, how to stay safe and about family planning. Mike and I have also been going around to schools in the area and talking to students about the importance of vocational training and promoting the Bududa Vocational Institute. During this we have learned a few scary statistics about Uganda’s population: 50% of the population is under 15 years old, and 69% is under 25, 80% of young people are unemployed, and only 8% of university graduates find jobs. It is really fun for us to go to schools and talk to the young kids about their country and about BVI and they get so excited to see muzungos (white people). I am often impressed with their attention, focus, their English and with the sacrifice some of them make to come to school everyday. I am also helping Barbara with making invitation for celebration/fundraising parties she will be hosting in the U.S. and Canada, getting pictures and photos of children of peace sent to their sponsors, and playing games with the kids. During our free time we go running, read, watch movies and occasionally go hiking.

When I think about how I am helping this community in many ways I feel like I am planting seeds. Ironic, I know, that’s what I was doing for my job as a wilderness therapy guide, but believe me I am planting different seeds in hopefully more fertile soil. It is refreshing to be here – planting seeds of change, seeing and experience life from a new perspective and having crazy adventures on a daily basis – that is when I am not feeling stuck about how I can help. All in all, Barbara Wybar is doing great work here and the staff at Bududa Vocational Institute is very dedicated, and since I am here to support them and my intentions are good I know that my presence here is making a difference.

2 comments:

  1. You go, Therese, and please be careful traveling around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. both of y'all were in a dream i had 2, maybe 3 nights back. thanks for the guest appearance stateside via the astral plane!

    ReplyDelete